With the new Facebook Timeline and Pinterest becoming the hottest thing in social networking, why not add Pinterest to Facebook. It’s easy and if you are a blogger you can show the things you have been working on through your Pinterest pins and boards on your Facebook page. When the timeline kicks in for Facebook fan pages you will be able to have it show in the timeline so viewers can easily see what you have been pinning and join in.
April 16, 2012 Update: We found a new way to add Pinterest to Facebook that takes about 2 minutes and let’s you link to one board if you want. It works perfect. Check this new post for details connecticutbloggers.com/easy-way-to-add-pinterest-to-facebook-with-woobox/
April 2, 2012 Update: I updated these instructions based on the new Facebook Timeline. If you see a problem with them please let me know.
Note: this only works if you have a Facebook fan page. It does not work on a personal Facebook pages.
It may not work to link just to a specific board on your Pinterest account. If you get a blank screen then that means you can’t link to a specific board and you will have to link to just your main Pinterest account.
Remember, using Pinterest is a great way to drive traffic back to your blog posts.
Create an App on Facebook
1. Go to developers.facebook.com/apps and click Create New App at the top right.
2. Type a name in the App Name box. I named mine Pinterest button.
3. Click next to I agree to the Facebook Platform Policies (if available) and click Continue.
4. Type the Security code into the next box and click Continue.
Fill in the Basic Info Section:
1. Type a name for your App. I put Pinterest.
2. Type your email address if it isn’t already in the box.
Fill in the Website Section:
1. Click next to the Website section to open it and view the box to fill out.
2. Type the URL for the Pinterest account or board you want to link to. I only wanted to link to the Connecticut board I created so it looks like this
Fill in the App on Facebook Section:
In the App on Facebook section type your Pinterest URL in both of the Canvas URL boxes. Make sure to add a slash mark (/) at the end of the address. In the Secure Canvas box make sure to type an s after http like this
Fill in the Page Tab Facebook Section:
In the Page Tab section type your Pinterest URL in both of the Page Tab URL boxes. In the Secure Page Tab URL box make sure to type an s after http. Do not add the slash after the URL in these boxes.
You can choose to show Pinterest narrow or wide. I chose wide to fill the whole page.
Add the Pinterest App to Your Facebook Fan Page:
Now you will need to copy and paste this URL and then modify it to link your new app to your Facebook Fan page timeline.
Where you see 404137736263006 above you will need to change that to your app number. You will find your app number back on the page above where you created the app. Look for the number at the top of the page.
You MUST change the number. If you use mine it won’t work for you.
Next, change http://www.pinterest.com/sweetiessweeps/connecticut/ to the link to your Pinterest account or board. Make sure to include the / at the end
If you typed the URL correctly, when you press Enter it will show a screen like this. Select the Facebook Fan page you want to add your new Pinterest App to and click Add Page Tab.
How to Change the Button Image
1. Go back to your Facebook Fan page and click the drop-down arrow next to the last button on the right on the button bar.
2. Hover over the current Pinterest button and click the Pencil icon.
3. Then click the Edit Settings link.
4. Click Change next to Custom Tab Image. A new window will open and allow you to upload a button for your bar.
If you would like to use this Pinterest button right-click on it and then Save it to your computer.
Note: Whatever button you decide to use must be 111px wide x 74px high.
5. Change the Custom Tab Name. I put Pinterest. Click Save and then click Okay.